My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

New Adult Down Syndrome Clinic

a message from Joyce: For the past 26 years, I have been a member of Kaiser Permanente. All three of our children were born under the Kaiser plan and all of our doctors are there. The only time we have ventured out of a Kaiser facility was for Sarah's open heart surgery and subsequent care. So just the thought of changing insurance carriers has caused me a bit of fear. But we must. Soon we will be on a Medical Mutual plan. It does open some doors. Like going outside of a Kaiser facility.

A few weeks ago I was mentioning to a friend that I just wish there was an adult Down syndrome clinic with some greater knowledge of the health issues related. Look what showed up in my email today...

...and how relieved I was when I saw that it is located at my beloved alma mater. I think Sarah will be thrilled to go to Ohio State for medical care. We have to wait until January to make the first appointment though. That's when the new insurance takes effect.


Just in case you are wondering about the eye. Today it looks fine. No redness. No puffiness. I am starting to keep a closer watch for allergy patterns, like food, shampoo, etc. Maybe I can get some clues before we head to a germ infested waiting room:)

8 comments:

RK said...

That's great! There's also one opening here in St. Louis--The Albert Pujols Wellness Center for Adults with DS... http://www.stlukes-stl.com/services/wellness_center/index.html

Interesting to me that adult centers are opening now when talk of how few new babies are being born is in the forefront. I'm very thankful that people are taking notice of the need and that there will be centers available for our kids as they grow and "age out" of pediatric care.

Karen said...

That's awesome. I hope it's a trending wave across the country. That needed to happen.

Amy L said...

Do they have a website? We live in Michigan and we don't have a Ds clinic either. I have been wanting to take Jimmy to one for so long but all of them are so far away.
Amy

Lacey said...

What a great clinic. Perfect for Sarah. I'm working on her blanket now, I can't wait to send it to her.

Shelley said...

There is an Adult Down syndrome clinic here in Alabama too! It's at UAB hospital in Birmingham.
People with Ds can begin going to the clinic at age 16.

Lianna said...

That is wonderful! Funny how life works out!

We attend a Ds Clinic for children here in Ottawa, yearly. I'm so grateful to be able to do this for Gabe.

Kim Rees said...

That's fantastic news Joyce! So glad that Liliana may be able to reap the benefits of that clinic some day too!

stephanie said...

wow! Talk about ..Ask and you shall receive! That's great!