My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Flashback Friday ~ What is a Jely Splat?

A short while ago we talked about creating new designs for Jely Splats.

You may be wondering what a Jely Splat is. This dress I am wearing is an example. It was one of my favorites because I loved the big strawberries.

Here is what makes it special. The top strawberry looks like it is a part of the dress. But really it is detachable and functions like a bib. We call it a "Splat Mat." Underneath is a waterproof flannel backing so the dress does not get wet from my trach secretions. When the collar part is soiled it is removed and replaced with a second Splat Mat.
.
Each outfit comes with two or three Splat Mats depending on the child's needs. Each dress or shirt is designed in such a way that the Splat Mat looks like it just belongs. We are working on some new designs. My mom just got a call today that some fabric we have been waiting for has come in, so stay tuned.


9 comments:

JRS said...

What's the saying, 'necessity is the mother of invention'? You are very creative.
---Jen

Mary said...

Never heard of Jely Splat before! That's pretty cool!

ABandCsMom said...

Can't wait to see some more Jely Splat designs! By the way, you look very good in red!

sturpin said...

So creative! That is great

blogzilly said...

That's a brilliant idea actually, you ought to try to market it and sell it! :)

Beverly said...

wow, this sounds wonderful!

Perplexing Situation said...

very creative. can't wait to see what fabric you've been waiting on. :-)

Mel said...

I love that idea. And Sarah, very cute photos of you, by the way :)

Kristen's mom said...

you have so many great ideas!