My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Flashback Friday ~ A Playground Queen

For many years, I was known as the Queen of the Playground.

I have two pages in my scrapbook to show some of the playgrounds we went to.

If you click on the pictures to enlarge them you will see that I am often hanging from the monkey bars or the rings. I was usually the only one in my class that could go all the way across. The rest of my friends would drop to the ground after two or three bars. Not me. My dad would tell me I was like the monkey at the zoo swinging from branch to branch.

A message from mom: At first glance these just look like photos at playgrounds. And to Sarah that's what they are. To me they represent so much more. Like hours and hours of physical therapy. Yet something even greater. A few months ago I wrote about Sarah's birth story and described the day I was driving and came upon a school. It was the sight of the playground that brought me to tears, uncontrollable sobbing in fact. It was a visual for my fear. The frightening thoughts that Sarah would never learn to swing, or climb, possibly even walk or run. I think too, I worried that she would not be allowed to play on the equipment with the other children.
.
Years later, I look back with great fondness as we drove from playground to playground. Sarah could spot one a mile away. She just loved them. I vividly remember hearing parents whisper about the "little girl" while watching their kids fall off swings or not be able to successfully cross from one side of the monkey bars to the other. Sarah would patiently wait her turn. Then she would proceed to quickly swing from bar to bar and then back again. I would just smile. That's when the other children would frequently include her in their play.
.
The upper body strength she developed was incredible. It didn't matter to her that she had a scar longer than my hand running down her chest or a deep indentation in her neck where her trach tube was once located. She did not listen to the naysayers that didn't believe she could do it. She just climbed her way to the top and performed her playground magic. Actually, I'm not sure that Sarah was aware that she didn't have to do it. Truthfully, that's one of the things I love about her. She just keeps trying. Sarah never gives up. I wish I had known that the day I shed all those tears.

12 comments:

ABandCsMom said...

Sarah is one heck of a gal! Love the playground pictures. Carly can also spot one a mile away.

Perplexing Situation said...

very touching and inspiring. thank you for sharing that.

heather said...

Amazing post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. At first I looked at the pics and thought, "wow. Sarah's mom has always taken a lot of pictures. And look she used the same scrapbooks I did. And look at Sarah...Morgan is too scared of heights to try any monkey bars." But there is so much more to the story. An incredible journey and realization. Thanks!

Mel said...

Thank you for being one of the pioneers who went before us, and have made things easier for our children, and set such an example of what can be achieved. Truly inspiring.

datri said...

Those are some pretty awesome playgrounds! So wonderful Sarah loves them! I think of playgrounds as physical therapy, too, LOL.

Beth said...

Sarah, that is amazing--you could do those monkey bars! I never could cross them. You are one strong girl!

Rochelle said...

Sarah & Joyce,

Thank you so much for your awesome blog and great posts. It is so inspiring to see what things Sarah has accomplished (love your playground pictures) and to hear your perspective on her life, Joyce. You are both such a positive influence on so many.

sturpin said...

Now you have got me crying. :)
I so hope Bella will do those things. Thanks for sharing Joyce. I need to see 20 years down the road. :)

Heather said...

Thank you for once again.. showing us,with little ones,what hope looks like.Sharing Sarah is a beautiful thing you do for so many,everyday.Thanks again Joyce.

starrlife said...

My Kayli is a Monkey Bar Queen too! She can practically do an iron cross on the rings! Social currency for sure! I love getting playground pics too! Thanks for sharing so much!

Tsquared417 said...

You are both so sweet and I love being able to read about all of your adventures. Playgrounds have the same affect on me, Joyce!!

GAMZu said...

That's really something. Your Sarah is amazing. :) And very pretty, too.

But don't regret the crying. I believe that when mothers cry for their children, it helps them rise that much higher. A nice, healthy cry full of hope, prayer and determination.