My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Update on Permanent Damage

We have had so many requests for a copy to print of the newspaper article we posted earlier today. I've typed it below or send us an email to sarahely8989@yahoo.com and I will email you a clean copy in Word.

Find ways to calm down before causing permanent damage
By: Doug Worgul
Knight Ridder Newspapers

You can nurture a relationship for years and ruin it in a moment if you can’t control your temper.

Here are some tried and true tactics for keeping cool when tempers get hot:
-Hold your tongue. When you’re angry, anything you say can and will be used against you. It’s better to just say nothing.
-Ask for more information. Many arguments are a result of poor communication. Clarification is better than confrontation.
-Avoid using inflammatory language. If you must speak, don’t curse, don’t insult, don’t question motives or intelligence, and don’t bring up past offenses.
-Take the high road. Admit you were wrong. Promise to try harder. Say you’re sorry.
-Get a second opinion. Talk to someone else about the argument to get a more objective perspective.
-Take a deep breath and smile. This will help you stay in control and drain away ill will.
-Consider what’s at stake. Maybe it’s your marriage, or your job, or your relationship with a child, sibling or friend. Ask yourself whether the expression of your temporary feelings of anger are worth the risk of permanently damaging a relationship you value.
-Work it out. Go for a walk or bike ride; play a game of racquetball; lift weights. Use exercise to exorcise bad feelings.
-Get a good night’s sleep.

1 comment:

Stephanie @ Ralphcrew said...

This is great. I'll be sharing it for certain.

Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog. And thanks for including me on your roll!