My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Introducing Blogzilly

a message from Joyce: Sarah and I have been blogging for over a year now. It has been an extraordinary experience in so many ways. I believe I have mentioned before that we never encountered another family in the Cleveland area with the significant medical issues that Sarah endured in her early years. We traveled that part of our journey alone, and it was incredibly lonely. What I have been so pleased to discover with the blogging world is we no longer have to walk alone. There are many wonderful families so willing to share their support and love. And to share their hardships. So that others may learn from them, but sometimes simply to vent because there are so few around our "live" world that understand.

For the most part, Sarah and I have stuck close to the issue of Down syndrome. But there are a few blogs that I have come across that so inspire me. The writers are blessed with a gift of expression that I envy. Most are moms. Moms like me who either during their pregnancy or shortly after giving birth, had their dreams of a perfect child shattered. They are learning to cope with a different set of circumstances than they originally planned.

Then there is Blogzilly. I first discovered this blog while posting a comment on Zoey and Heather's blog. I was intrigued by the name, and curious about the photo that accompanied it. Yet, what really struck me was the depth and insight of the comment that had been left. So I lurked on over to see just who was this creature. What I discovered shook me to the core. I spent the better part of that entire evening reading this story from beginning to end.

As it turns out, Blogzilly is a father. With an adorable little boy who has been diagnosed with Infantile Spasms. I've noticed more and more kids with Ds also being diagnosed with IS as it is referred. Anyway, Blogzilly and his family recently came to the Cleveland Clinic for surgery. As he wrote about their ordeal, I could picture many of the scenes he was describing. Sarah had often been in one of the rooms across the hall from M-35 where the children were taken after their brain surgeries. That's not why I keep going back to read the blog though.

I am enthralled, even mesmerized with the manner in which Blogzilly writes. It is raw folks, pure raw emotion written by a dad that has had the life sucked out of him. And he is not afraid to tell you. He has a way of letting his fingers reflect on the keyboard what is swirling around in his head. It is painful, yet it is so eloquent. It so encompasses the real story of a family dealing with the not so pretty side of life. Today, he is looking for a 50th person to follow his blog. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Oh, and his pictures and graphics are outstanding. It's just too bad he hates our Cleveland Browns:)

An addendum: I forgot to mention...as you can tell from his comment to me today...he has a superb sense of humor too. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your world Ken, you are a gem. All the best to you and your family.

6 comments:

blogzilly said...

Actually I LOVE your Cleveland Browns...and am thrilled to have them playing in Baltimore. :)

I do wish the Browns were good, I actually do...I love the competition aspect of it and of course all of Jen's family are Browns or Bengals fans.

Thanks for the write-up, I was frankly very touched by it.

stephanie said...

I've seen blogzilly at lot too. I'll have to go check him out.

Mel said...

Heading over there right now...

Heather said...

Well .. you know I love this man.Honest,straight forward and oh so funny.

If I haven't told you lately,thank you for your continued support of the the little miss and the rest of us.Love when I pop on and see a comment from you or Sarah

Karyn said...

Thank you so much for this info. Since Quinn was just dx IS this comes at a very important time.

Emily said...

I'm checking it out now... thanks for sharing!