My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, October 5, 2009

In My Own Words...by Matt Ely



The night of this incident I did not have any intentions of fighting or any drama or running into this bully that has been trouble to my girlfriend RG for awhile now. I intended to go to the game have fun with her and her friends that I have met in the past. When I ran into this bully I still had no intentions of fighting Gus or that he would say a word that would hurt me so much that it would lead to a couple punches to the face. When Gus said the "R" word not once, not twice, not even three times but maybe 5 times, I just snapped. It was like something took over in my body and it made me real mad. It was a side to myself I have never felt before. Something that I hope I will never have to feel again.
.
If I could give advice to any kids younger or older than their sibling, it would have to be that now that I have experienced this you are going to run into those arrogant kids that don't think about what they say and don't think it offends anyone, but that it is just another word to them. Words do hurt. I would tell them that if you ever do run into these kids that you may wanna walk away because something may take over your body and you might snap. And then you may be in the situation that I am in right now. One last piece of advice is to stay strong.
.
Now that the event is over if I could go back and change anything I would change the hitting part. If I do see someone that I know is going to bother me or the people I am with to get as farrrr away from them as possible because it will only lead to trouble. The greatest thing now that I need to work on is to JUST WALK AWAY!

17 comments:

TJ said...

Good job dude. While yes, you shouldn't have swung, and yes you should have walked away, and yes you are now in trouble and will learn from your mistakes, I hope you gave Gus that powerful uppercut-combo 3 punch jab, which leaves a colorful bruiser under the eye, and knocks retard right out of his vocabulary.

Adelaide Dupont said...

Walking away is a good thing.

If all of G's 'friends' walk away from him every time he says that word, and seriously reject him, then I am sure he will learn. And it would have been better to have walked away the first time he said that word, instead of waiting to see if he were serious (which he might have been when he said it the second time).

But I wish him no bad, and I wish you a lot of good in your life.

RG sounds like a lovely girlfriend. I hope she can stay strong now and in the future. It is dreadful when those around us who we love dearly are abused or around abusive people.

Emily said...

Matt... you sound like a fabulous son and brother. Stay strong!

Monica said...

Matt you are one incredible kid!! You gave some great advice! And though I don't condone fighting, I'm with TJ I hope you did get the uppercut-combo 3 punch jab :) (though I'll totally deny writing that to my boys :) )

Lacey said...

Matt, you are such a cute kid!

The VW's said...

Great lesson! Walking away can be so hard to do, but it is the right choice!

But, I also say, "Great job for sticking up for your girlfriend and sister!"

Anonymous said...

I would love to have you as Raphael's brother, Matt. You are a good kid.

Cheche Chavez
Philippines

stephanie said...

I think TJ said it best!!! I think you are an exceptional big brother. Hindsight is 20-20, A lesson was learned, hopefully by everyone involved. The love you have for Sarah is beautiful. Thanks for this post I will be sure to let my kids read it. Emilia my little one, has five older siblings, this is very good advice you have written.Thank you!

Rochelle said...

Awesome words of wisdom Matt. Thanks for sharing this whole incident with us, we can learn a lot from each others experiences. Your experience will be a great start to conversation with our kids.
We all should strive to look back and contemplate our situations and critique ourselves. You are wise before your time.

catherine said...

Matt and family...I loved your words. In life we are faced with ignorance everyday. These situations are given to us, because our shoulders can handle them. We use common sense on how to handle these types of situations and perhaps educate along the way. Which is what you are doing. Well done! We are all so proud of you. Catherine Holloway

Kim Rees said...

Great advice Matt! I think you are definitely a role model for all teens. I can tell you have learned from this experience and you are that much better for it. Keep up the great job because Sarah is very lucky to have you!

Tsquared417 said...

Sarah is lucky to have you Matt!!

ParkerMama said...

Excellent!

Kristin said...

I hope our Max's sister grows up to be as great of a sibling as you!

Lacey said...

Joyce if you read this will you email me at laceyrugg@hotmail.com. I want to send something to Sarah and I want to ask you a couple of things about her trach.

JRS said...

Ya, - what TJ said. Stay strong.
---Jen

Mel said...

It takes courage to stand up for what you believe in, and I admire you for that. You have the makings of an amazing man, and I am sure you have learned from this. I hope Gus has too. His language speaks volumes about who he is. Hang in there!