My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

I'm making a Shopping List

We are out of milk. So I told my mom. She said, "Sarah, you know what to do." Yes I do.

I need to make a shopping list. So I get out a piece of paper and my special writing pen. It is easier if I use an easy flow gel roller ball or a felt tip marker like Crayola fine tips. That way, I don't have to press so hard when I am making the letters. We learned this tip many years ago and even had it written into my IEP.

Do you see how I am looking at the empty jug? I am copying the word "milk." It's a little trick I've learned.

Now I am copying the words, "Motts apple juice" because it is almost empty. Tomorrow after work we will go to the grocery store. My mom will ask me to read the list when we get there. I like doing that.

10 comments:

heidi marie said...

you are doing a great job! i can't wait for henry to help me out. i hate grocery shopping.

Lianna said...

Thank you for sharing the writing tips! Very helpful! Hope you got everything on your list today. :)

Monica said...

I love how you help your mom out!!

Adam's hand cramps up when he writes, did using the easy gel or fine tip marker help you not get hand cramps???? Just wondering....Adam does love using markers maybe this is why.

My name is Sarah said...

Hi Monica, This is Joyce. Yes the markers help with the cramping which is often caused by the tightness they use holding the pen and the pressure needed to make a pencil or ballpoint pen legible on the paper. With the marker it can be a more free flowing movement. In school though, they frequently prohibit kids from using markers unless they are told to do so, that is why we put it into the IEP.

Scarehaircare said...

So that is why The Love Magnet prefers markers over crayons, pencils, and pretty much everything else. Whodathunk? Sarah, thanks for sharing this.

BTW, do you also help plan meals? I know you can cook.

AZ Chapman said...

Nice I like shopping for food for my family

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Those re great tips Sarah! Thanks!! Hope you have fun shopping! :)

Emily said...

You are fabulous! I hope Justin as a good helper just like you!

rickismom said...

Ricki enjoys writing shopping lists, and the more stuff, the better!

Perplexing Situation said...

sounds like a great idea to write up a list before going to the store.