My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Red, White & Boom Weekend

Friday night my mom drove me to Columbus. I wanted to see the parade the next morning. The exit we usually get off the freeway is closed, so we had to go to the next one. As soon as we got off we saw a ton of cars in the parking lot of the shopping center. Hmmm, well my mom pulls in and discovers that Red, White and Boom was happening Friday night. That is the huge fireworks show in downtown Columbus. So she finds a spot to park facing downtown.

I had other ideas. Do you see that sign behind me? How can I resist. So I say, "Let's go shopping." My mom says "No", she does not have any extra money right now. Well, taaadaaa!!! I pull out of my backpack the case I keep my Target giftcards in. Now what can she say? In we go and I find exactly what I want.

What song do I want to hear first? There's Hot n Cold by Katy Perry, So What by Pink, Closer by Ne-Yo, but I think I will choose Got Money by Lil Wayne. Do you wonder what I bought...

... Now 29!!! I collect these. Somehow I discovered I missed 29. I already have 30 & 31. After we get back to the car, my mom says it is about time for fireworks. So we sit, and sit...

...and sit some more. No fireworks. Well this is what I thought about the wait. BIG yawner. BORING.

The next morning we get up early to get a front row seat on the treelawn. Last year we discovered too late that our condo is within walking distance to a parade that is suppose to be a really good one. I did not want to miss it. My mom pushed me in my wheelchair so I would not be out of breath once we got here and then look, it makes a good seat. I brought my iPod so I would not get bored waiting.

How cool is this? A submarine. My mom thinks there is a blogger out there that has someone working on submarines. Update: It is Sonia's husband and Lillian's dad at hapagirlhapafamily.

It's getting a little hot. I brought an apple juice just in case I got thirsty. Good thing my mom brought this umbrella to shade me from the sun.

This is a good parade. I am seeing things I have never seen before.
Haaaa. Now this is funny. If you watch the movie we posted you can see these ladies move. They sorta walk like they are connected or something.

Oh I like that firetruck...

...but do they have to keep making the sirens squeal. It hurts my ears.
Now look at this!!! The Special Olympics is in the parade. I was very happy to see them.

Oh geeze. There always has to be a damn clown, my exact words as soon as I saw it. I hope she doesn't see me. Too late. My mom got a little mad at me because I almost made my wheelchair fall backwards as I tried to get away from her.

Oh good, horses. You know I love horses. They were the last thing in the parade. I told my mom I know why. In case they poop no one has to walk in it. She said I am so smart when I think of things like that:)

We are back at the condo about to make some cards to thank people in the military. You can read more about this project on my mom's blog.

Look at this. While we were stamping, my mom got this text message on her phone from my brother. Before we left on Friday she made a big pot of beef stew, red and blue jello, brownies and peanut butter cookies with Hershey kisses in them so the boys would not starve while we were gone. It is only Saturday and they ate them already!!!

Well here it is Saturday night. There are more fireworks. This time my mom thinks we can see them from our balcony. So here we sit. And wait, and wait, and wait.

As soon as the first one went off right over our roof I said, "I'm outa here." And back in to watch tv I went. I had fun this 4th of July. I hope you did too. My mom says we need to thank all the families that have someone serving in the military, especially some of our blogging friends like Big Blueberry Eyes, Embracing Life as a Household of 6, Life with my Special Ks, and The Andrews Family. THANK YOU!!!

13 comments:

Heidi said...

Looks like you had a fun time! I loved reading about your weekend!

Emily said...

Wow... you had loads of fun! We have to cover Justin's ears too when the firetrucks come down the street. Enjoy your new CD!

Beth said...

It sounds like you had a good trip! I love parades, but we didn't get to go to one this year. Those firetrucks bother me too--way too loud.

Happy Independence Day!

stephanie said...

You know Sarah, you have a great life. Nice job with the Target gift cards... You're a girl after my own heart, I mean what else can you do with a little extra time.
Those people dressed like the flag were a little funny!

Kim Rees said...

What a fun-filled packed weekend! Your brothers are soooo funny with their requests for more cookies! LOL! I'm sure it was even more special spending all that time with your awesome mom! Glad you had such a fantastic time!

ABandCsMom said...

Looks like a great time! Love the pictures of the parade. Thanks for sharing them.

Chrystal said...

I like the submarine too! My husband used to work on those (I can't imagine living in such a small space), but he has a new job in the Navy now. Maybe you know of Sonia? Her husband, Lillian's daddy, still works on them.

What a great weekend!

Ria said...

I loved the photos! Looked like a great parade. What a fun weekend!

datri said...

Glad you have such a wonderful 4th!

Beverly said...

happy you all had a great holiday! love all the photos!

Ellen said...

What a fab Fourth! We couldn't go to the fireworks, Max is scared of them, so the two of us stayed home and ended up watching them on TV, which he loved!

Michelle said...

great parade pictures! looks like you had a fun weekend!

Sonia said...

Yay! A submarine! Yes, we are a sub family and wouldn't have it any other way :) Thanks for the compliments...we are a proud family just like yours :)