My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New friends in my Backyard

Hey, look who's here.

She went into statue pose when my mom opened the screen door.

I think Bambi wants to play.

Here comes Bambi #2. I want to go out and feed them but my mom says we are not suppose to because we live in the city.

I guess they are done playing with my swingset. Off to the next house they go.
.
A thought from mom: Friend or Foe? While Sarah was ohhing and ahhing and sweet talking to the little baby deer, Bambi as she calls them, all I could think about was the 75 year old woman who hit one of these fawns with a shovel a few weeks ago just down the street from our house. Her actions resulted in it's death and her being served with animal cruetly charges. The story got national coverage and a huge out cry from local folks as well as much media attention from animal rights groups. You can read about it HERE.
.
The sad thing is we live in the city, a first ring suburb. The few green spaces we had just a few years ago have been taken over by new shopping destinations and housing developments. It does cause a shift in the natural habitat.
.
Just last week three adults, deer that is, came right up to me as I was unloading groceries out of my car in the driveway. It was a little frightening, especially knowing they are hungry, so I climbed back in my car and waited for them to leave. After what seemed like hours, probably less than five minutes, they started to s...l...o...w...l...y... mossy on down the cement street. I yelled at them, "Hey, next time maybe you could just follow me to the grocery store:)"
.
I wonder what Sarah would do if she encountered them while she is home alone? I try to not think about that kind of thing too much or I would never be able to let her grow up, never let her be on her own. And my point is that would be worse than encountering three deer in the front yard, even if one had antlers...B...I...G...antlers.

12 comments:

ABandCsMom said...

Oh my gosh. I think I would be a little nervous too. Weird that they come so close to people. The deer we have around our house, run quickly away if they hear any movement from our house. They keep a good distance away from us. We can see them clearly, but they never get that close.

Debbie Yost said...

We have a huge deer problem in one of our city parks and it's been on the news a lot. They even contemplated hunting them. I am not opposed to hunting, but they are right next to homes and some "hunters" are just idiots with guns that really don't know safety rules or care. I prefer them out in the wilderness where there are less children playing.

SunflowerMom said...

Adorable Bambis. What a terrible story about the neighbor! What a tough situation for the deer and the neighborhood.

Kele said...

Oh, that is kinda sad! I hate to think of homeless, hungry animals. I can't believe someone would hit one over the head with a shovel!!! Grrr!

Anonymous said...

You'd probably have to worry about me too. I'd probably try to feed them. I'm a sap like that.

Jan

narretto said...

I love your deer pictures, it is hard to live together with wild animals when their homes are being destroyed, hopefully S understands that they are wild and not to approach them.

Becca said...

Beautiful! But I understand your concerns about the deer getting a bit too "friendly." Have you ever heard of deer getting aggressive with people? I haven't, but I imagine anything's possible...
I have a couple of young squirrels in my back yard that I feed sunflower seeds to every day. They're pretty bold, and I'm not afraid of them, but I sometimes wonder what would happen if they got into the house one day! Yikes. Have you talked to Sarah about what to do if they come too close?

Melissa said...

OMGosh, that is a very scarry thought Joyce! Perhaps the animal control dept could have suggestions for you?

I wanted to THANK YOU for posting that funny comment about the dead beat dads....that really gave me a chuckle! What a dream it would be to put a plate like that on his car...LOL

Thanks again & I hope all is well!
{{HUGS}}

Karen said...

They came right up to your car? Wow. You'd think they would eat shrubbery, grass and leaves from yards. With all the houses it can't be that hard to find food, right?

Beverly said...

I love it. they are so cute

Beth said...

Did you know that more humans are killed by deer than any other animal in the US? It's all from running into cars and causing accidents. Deer are the most dangerous animal in North America. And really, it's not their fault.

You are right. Deer are edge-dwellers, and all we humans do is make more edges. And our edges are more dangerous than regular meadow/forest dwellers. We have streets and buildings.

I think I would have honked at those deer in your driveway to get them to move along!

Our neighborhood deer eat everything in the front yard. It's a good thing we have a fenced backyard or we'd have no flowers at all!

datri said...

We have deer everywhere. They eat our flowers and garden!

At least you don't have bear in the city!!