My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Simian Crease Discovery

The other day I heard Sarah very loudly say, "Oh how sweet" while she was in her room reading blogs. That is one of her favorite comments especially when there are photos of babies, so I don't usually come running. This time though she yelled out for me. So I came to see her stroking her laptop screen as though she was tickling the most adorable hand of a baby. It turned out to be Lisa holding Finn's sweet little hand while she described a transverse palmar crease that Finn shares with his brother.

At the time I did not have time to read it, but late last night I did. I also read the comments. One was from Daniel Niblock, a dad with a young son named Ozzie. He talks about designing a logo for his new blog and used a hand with this crease. Truthfully, I had looked at his website before with Sarah but did not pick up that detail. Why, because somehow this simian crease marker had passed me by.

So this morning when Sarah came down for breakfast I asked to see her hands. The first thing she said to me was, "Small. I have small hands." It's often tiny moments like this that knock me over. I was not aware that she realized she has small hands.

So I placed her hand on mine. She is right. It is small. Smaller than mine at least.

Next I had her open her hands. Sure enough simian creases on both hands!!! I had always focused on her cute little curved pinkie, much more pronounced on her left hand than her right hand.
I wanted to study them, but Sarah had other plans. She needed her hands for making breakfast.

While Sarah was tending to her pancakes, John came home from soccer. I said to him, "Honey, do you know that Sarah has two simian creases on her hands?" He said "Ya, don't you remember when Sarah was born that doctor came in and showed us her hands and her little ears." Honestly, I do not remember that. I remember the doctor talking about other soft markers like the flat bridge on the nose, the short fatty neck, and the curved pinkie, but not the crease.
.
I love this phenomenon of blogging. Almost twenty years later and I am still learning about this wonderful world of Down syndrome. Thanks to Lisa and Dan for this one.

15 comments:

DownTownDan said...

Wow - thank you so much for this post. Glad you like the logo
:)

Leah said...

On the video of Angela's performance a couple weeks ago, she talks about her crease, and that "Mom calls them Angel kisses." I was always fascinated with Angela's creases. The transverse palmar crease on her hand, and the "sandle toe" crease on her foot. When she was a tiny baby I would kiss the palms of her hands, and stroke that crease. It's one of my favorite features of DS.

Denise said...

Such a sweet post. It is funny the different things that we all pick up on. For me, the simian crease is something that I looked for as soon as she was born. I think it makes Ella special. I have done these hand/foot prints of all three of my girls. The people that make them always do right hand and left foot. But since Ella has the simian crease on her left hand, I wanted to make sure they did that one because it is her unique trademark. I also like that you commented on the curved pinkies. Ella has those as well and they are so stinking cute!!

Cammie Heflin said...

I love Addy's hands too! She has two crooked little pinkies but just one crease on her left hand!

Lisa said...

I love the photo of Sarah's hand in her moms's hand :) Finn has very pronounced curved pinky fingers on both of his hands.

stephanie said...

I love Emmie's crease to. OK, if some one didn't know what we were talking about they would think we were all a little "off", creases and pinkies, lol. It's funny to me, how I now embrace all of Em's little "markers", the same things that used to freak me out before she was born. Now I love them because they make her, her.

Stephanie said...

Aiden has those creases and everytime his teachers do his handprints at school, those creases make my heart stop. Not because it is a characteristic of Down syndrome, but because he HAS Down syndrome and the joy that knowledge has brought me.

Tsquared417 said...

Olivia has those too and she has Cri du Chat Syndrome! It must be our "gang" sign, right? :) Bonds us all together...

Debbie Yost said...

That is one of the only things I remember the doctor saying about the characteristics. Peanut has them on both hands, too, and those cute little pinkies.

starrlife said...

The pudgy, creases and curves - I could kiss my girls every day!Sweet post, sweet hands and obviously very capable!

Maggie Mae said...

I do so love everything about my little boys' hands and feet! I kiss and gently tickle them all the time. (We call it 'frying'.) My guys each have just one hand with a crease and one without (opposite hands too - mirror image identical twins maybe?). The boys eye doctor also has the palmar crease... in both hands... but does NOT have DS. He explained that 1 or 2% of the non-DS population also has this feature. Interesting!

Lianna said...

I love your picture of hands with Sarah. I am going to try to capture one of me and Gabe and maybe even Daddy...I think Gabe has the crease only on one hand or maybe it is more pronounced on one opposed to the other...Not sure. But he does have the space between his big toe and mates, and I love it.♥

Aunt Shari said...

Hi Miss Sarah, I read your blog weekly. It's my way of keeping up with you. You brighten my week every time I read your blog. You are a wonderful inspiration and I'm so fortunate to have you as my niece.
Can't wait to see you next week.

Michelle said...

that is interesting that you never knew that about Sarah's hands before!

Kayla only has the crease on one hand. I remember right after she was born when I looked at her I said "she has Ds doesn't she?" the midwife did a quick look over, (she was still trying to deliver the placenta) and I remember her turning her palm over and shaking her head. I didn't know, at that time, what she was looking for...but she didn't check Kayla's other hand or else she would have seen the crease.

Perplexing Situation said...

No kidding, there's always something new to learn. Every moment is a teachable moment for the kiddos and even the big kids too.