My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

I Don't want to go Home with You

Yesterday afternoon my little brother had his 6th grade promotion ceremony at the high school. It just so happened that the bus which takes me home from the job training program was there as they were leaving. I spotted my dad first.

He came over to wave to me.

Then my mom got on the bus. So I got up. She said, "Sarah why don't you come with us." Oh no. Then the bus driver said, "Yea, Sarah why don't you go with them." Then my little brother got on the bus. And he said, "Why don't you come home with us."

And that's when I said, "I don't want to go home with you." So my mom said, "O.k. I don't want to stand in the way of independence." So the bus driver brought me home. And I did what I do everyday, I got the garage door opener out of my purse and I let myself in.

14 comments:

Emily said...

Nothing wrong with a girl who knows what she wants!

rickismom said...

For sure Ricki would have chosen just like you did!

Lacey said...

You go girl. Tell them what you want.

The VW's said...

I love you Sarah! Keep standing up for yourself! Women need to have choices and get what they want too!

sturpin said...

I like my routines too Sarah!

Lily said...

Way to be independent!

ABandCsMom said...

Good for you Sarah!

stephanie said...

Step aside, here comes Sarah!!!

Cathy said...

Little Miss Independent!!!

Lori said...

You certainly did it your way and there is nothing wrong with that!

Michelle said...

Kayla always chooses the bus over coming home with me too! Just on Thur we were at the school for their end of year party and we left at the same time the busses were leaving. We passed her bus and she waved at the driver/aid and we walked to the van and she didn't want to get in. "No van! The bus!" I had to walk her back to the bus because she insisted on taking the bus home instead of riding with us!

Perplexing Situation said...

ms. independent. ;-)

Becca said...

Good for you, Sarah! I love that you stood your ground!

Jeanette said...

I love your independence!