My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Cooking with Sarah

Sarah's teacher at her independent living program sent me this email: Sarah's homework for the weekend is to use a can opener. She needs a little practice. Hmm...Two problems, we really do not use can food very often and we have an electric can opener which is why she needs practice. But this is a good activity.

Our first challenge was to find a recipe that uses cans. We dug around in the recipe drawer and found this yummy corn dish that uses two cans!!! Our second challenge was finding a can opener. So we dug around in the camping box in the garage and found one. I grabbed the camera like every good blogger. It was fascinating to watch. This is a great OT excercise as our children get older.

I think we have discovered our next adventure: Cooking with Sarah. I better look for a chef's jacket though. It seems everytime I take pictures of Sarah cooking she is in her pajamas or her robe:)


21 comments:

Tsquared417 said...

Great job Sarah!! I'm not sure I even remember how to use one of those! :)

ABandCsMom said...

Good job! I have a terrible time using those kinds of can openers.
Way to go!!

Leah said...

Great job Sarah! Way to stick with it. We don't even own one of those can opener. LOL Angela loves to cook though! Her favorite thing to make is pancakes, and now she's learning to make french toast.

JRS said...

Good job Sarah. I love your blog header photo from your graduation.
---Jen

Lacey said...

I say use an electric can opener to, much easier right Sarah?

Carol N. said...

Good job Sarah! And don't worry about the pajamas - most of us are probably still in them as we read the blog!

Scarehaircare said...

HEre is a recipe to helpyou with your can opening skills:

Scarehaircare's Pantry Creamy Chicken Chili

1 12.5 oz can white chicken (or 1 lb boneless skinless white chicken breast, diced 1" and cooked, can use rotisserie chicken)
1 14 oz can white kidney beans or small white beans
1 14 oz can golden hominy
1 can chicken broth
1 can diced smoked green chiles
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder or minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Cup sour cream (I use low fat)

chopped fresh tomatoes, red onion, and cilantro,crushed tortilla chips,shredded cheddar cheese for garnish


Rinse the beans and hominy. Add beans and hominy to the pot with chicken, chiles, broth, and spices. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Ladle into bowls to serve.

I top mine with chopped tomatoes, red onion and cilantro. The Love Magnet likes her topped with crushed tortilla chips and cheese.

Monica Crumley said...

From start to finish, you did a great job, Sarah. Even cleaned up afterwards. How did the finished product taste?

Heidi said...

Way to go Sarah!! Those can openers are hard to use. It looks like you like to cook. I like to cook too!

Michelle said...

great job Sarah! especially sticking with it when your hand started hurting! That is great OT practice too!

Cammie Heflin said...

Sarah you are awesome! Great job!

Heather said...

Sarah,you are such the girl!Awesome job and I bet the bread was delicious.I dream of Zoey one day doing all the magical things you are doing.Thank you for being such an incredible example.

datri said...

I really enjoyed watching this!

The VW's said...

Great job Sarah!!! You are such an inspiration!

I love watching Food Network and I think that you should be their next big star!

Keep up the great job!

Lori said...

Looks yummy - and great work with the can opener! Those old style can openers are hard for everyone!

Also - I am so glad that you found my blog (Banana Pants) and commented so that I could find your blog. You are an inspiration to all, but especially to those of us who are just getting started on our journey with Down syndrome.

I look forward to seeing what other dishes you create!

Kele said...

I love it! Thanks for the video, that was fun! And kuddo's for you guys for not eating can food much!! Wish we could say the same!

stephanie said...

That was great, those can openers are nearly impossible to use.

Tara said...

Oh, Sarah, I'm going to have to teach my typical kids how to use one of those things. I'm not sure they've ever seen one! :)

Mel said...

Great perseverance Sarah- a great quality to have :) And the cleaning up afterwards, I wish m;y family could learn from your example!

Shelley said...

Well Done Sara - I hardly ever get to use an old fashioned tin opener either!

Perplexing Situation said...

oh I hate can openers too! Great job though!