My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

An amazing gift from an Amazing Friend

I've talked about Lisa before. You may remember she was my neighbor who my dad asked to come watch me when I was a mischievous little toddler and he was trying to run his business from our house.

She was only eight at the time and we became great friends. I was so excited that she got to come to my graduation party. She is a social worker now at Akron Children's Hospital so some weekends she is on call.

When I sat down to open my cards and gifts there was a big bag. It was from Lisa. I pulled out this frame. I immediately recognized all of the pictures and logos.
Then Lisa came to read some of it to me. It is so sweet. My mom started to cry. I think some other people did too.

If you click on this photo you should be able to read it. You will see what I liked to do growing up but my favorite box says: "Thanks for all the great memories and those yet to come. I love you and am so glad you are a part of my life. I would not be who I am today without you." My mom says that is the greatest gift of all, making a difference in someone elses life. I am truly a lucky girl.

13 comments:

ABandCsMom said...

How Cool is that!! What a wonderful friend you have. And, what a wonderful person you are Sarah.

Karyn said...

That is an awesome gift. Like your mom, I have tears in my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Reading your blog helps me so much!

Heidi said...

What a special gift! What a great friend you have!

Cammie Heflin said...

Bawling here Sarah, I'm so glad you shared this! What a special friend you have!

Perplexing Situation said...

That is a fantastic gift! I creid while I read it to. You have a fantastic friend there!

Jeanette said...

That gift is absolutely amazing. It shows so much love and how much you mean to her. Wow!

JRS said...

We're all lucky too that we get to learn all about your life Sarah.
---Jen

Kristen said...

"My mom says that is the greatest gift of all, making a difference in someone elses life."

That is so true! Your mom is a very wise woman.

Sarah, you are so deserving of a great friend like Lisa. Your love is obviously, quite contagious!

Cathy said...

What a thoughtful gift! You are an amazing young woman who will continue to touch the lives of people all around you (including those of us in the blogging world)!

Michelle said...

That really is an amazing gift - you are such a loved & lucky girl, Sarah! You have some really fantastic friends!

Michelle said...

That gift made me cry too! What a blessing you are to others and how wonderful to have such great friends who love you!!!

Lori said...

What a great gift! Your mom is right -- you make a difference in people's lives -- that is most important.
What an awesome friend you have!

waldenhouse said...

How touching! As others have said, what an awesome friend you have! And you have clearly been an awesome friend to her.

Thanks for sharing such a sweet relationship with us!