My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Nanny for a Summer, Friends Forever...

...This is Joyce with a surprise for Sarah when she gets home...

Earlier in the week I read a post written by Shelly over at Loving Arabella. If you have not met precious Bella, please go to her blog now. Little Miss Bella has decided to make quite a mark on the world. She is following so closely in Sarah's footsteps, well more like PICUsteps, it is eerie at times. She is keeping her family quite busy and they need a little help. So into their lives came a college gal who will be their "nanny" for the summer.

That so reminded me of our Lisa. Although Lisa was not in college when she started helping us out, she was actually only nine or ten and lived directly across the street so she did not need to live with us, but she was with Sarah (and TJ) all the time. They formed a bond that changed both of their lives, forever. And I suspect Bella, her sister Joy also Ds and their siblings will have the same effect on their new helper. Shelly describes that this girl was praying for a "nanny" position this summer. What this young lady doesn't yet realize, is she has been rewarded with not only a job, but a life altering experience.

I pulled out an old photo album shortly after reading Shelly's post to find a picture of Lisa with Sarah. This is the first one I found. I am guessing they were playing either beauty shop or dress up that day. Of course the turtleneck shirt Sarah is wearing is covering up her trach tube. That little tube didn't bother Lisa. Just like Sarah's funky breathing doesn't bother Lisa today.

How do I know that? Because this message was posted by Lisa on my Facebook this morning: So the next few weekends are pretty free for me, so I was wondering if maybe Sarah would want to come sleep over one night?

Sarah is going to be thrilled.

9 comments:

Cammie Heflin said...

I so hope Addy has a friend like Lisa!

Lacey said...

How great, Sarah will be so excited.

Beverly said...

Oh, that is so wonderful! I love this post!

JennyH said...

Sleepover! Hope she goes and has tons of fun.

wife, mother and so much more! said...

Lisa sounds like she turned into a wonderful adult--what a cool story, Joyce.

Kim Rees said...

That is awesome!

Tsquared417 said...

The angels in our lives are all around us! Thanks for the wine, chocolate and caviar yesterday! :)

sturpin said...

How absolutely wonderful! Yeah for Sarah! Yeah for Lisa! Yeah for friendship that sees beyond any differences!

Kristen said...

What a precious friend Lisa is!! I wish this world was filled with Lisa's!