My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Know Bones About It

My troop was selected to participate in a pretty neat project. Doctors at Case Western Reserve University got a large grant from the NIH to teach young girls about their bones. For one year we got to do lots of neat things. Here I am getting a bone density scan and filling out some paperwork about what I eat.

We had pre-testing completed. Then for several months we had doctors, nurses, nutrionists, psychologists, and physical therapists come in to teach us about taking care of our bones.

We learned about food, excercising, and using our mind to choose good snacks. And most important to drink milk. I love milk so that was easy for me. After a year they repeated all the tests to see how much we learned about our bones. During the project we got a lot of free stuff to keep like jump ropes, water bottles, key chains, squishy balls and yummy recipe cards.

4 comments:

Chrystal said...

That sounds like so much fun!

Lianna said...

That must have been a very interesting event! Did you have bone density improvement when the follow up was done? That is something I should have done for myself!

Michelle said...

I love seeing your pages of all your Girl Scout Events, Sarah!
I'm sorry you're not feeling well - feel better soon, okay?
Michelle

Beverly said...

Looks like such fun stuff!