My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Daisy Girl Scout Investiture Ceremony

We know our Promise now, so we get to officially become Girl Scouts at the Investiture Ceremony. That's me standing up. It's my turn.

A Message from Mom: I have had so many questions about Sarah being a Girl Scout and what did I do to adapt activities for Try-Its, Badges, trips etc. As Sarah presents her scrapbook pages, I will give a few ideas here and there. I found one of the keys was to make things seem like they were just a regular part of the meeting.

The first idea is the attendance board. I knew Sarah could not read at this point (actually a few of the girls were not yet reading) so rather than take attendance with a list of names, I created that big flower pot on heavy presentation board(see top photo). Then I took all the girl's pictures, pasted them on a daisy flower and put velcro on the back and velcro on the end of each stem. The girl assigned to take attendance each week just had to match up the picture to the girl and stick it on the flower pot.

No comments: