My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sibling LOVE ~ the Greatest of All

H signs. I thank the road crews for those blue H signs. I never would have found this hospital without them. I finally arrive in the emergency room. It is a Sunday evening, approximately 11:00 p.m. and the waiting room is packed. Not a seat available. I stop at the desk and tell them my name and they immediately say, "Go right back to bed 8. The doctor has been waiting for you." I'm not sure if that is a good thing.

I walk past several groaning patients until I come to bed 8. It is empty. EMPTY. Now the fear is creeping back in. The last 30 minutes of my ride I had come to peace with the situation. The nurse told me earlier TJ would be going home tonight, so I'm thinking a few broken bones, some stitches, maybe a concussion. But why is the bed empty? Then a doctor comes over.

He tells me the call came in as a truck making direct contact with a passenger car at 65 MPH without breaking. ER prepares for the worst. They have the necessary docs and departments on stand by. It was not called DOA by the paramedics. That is good news. He continues on by telling me they start with a visual eye scan for cuts, bleeding, protruding bones. They see a tiny cut above the eye. It does not require stitches. Nothing else. They check for possible internal injuries. Again nothing. So they send him down for a CT scan and an MRI. Nothing. They cannot believe it. They call for another doc to look at the films. To look at TJ. They look at the clipboard from the ambulance to make sure they have the right patient. They are shocked there are no injuries. He informs me they don't often see miracles in the ER, but today he is sure of it.

About this time, I see a young man walking down the hallway in a hospital gown. I blink my eyes trying to get a clearer image. It's like watching a movie in slow motion. I recognize him, yet it's blurry. Soon, he is clinging to me tightly. He buries his head in my shoulder. I hold him tighter. He starts to whisper between gentle sobs, "Mom I was so scared. When I saw the truck coming at me the only thing I could think is I can't die before Sarah, she needs me." At that moment, my legs go weak and the tears start freely flowing...

21 comments:

JRS said...

Oh My Goodness! What a story. What a precious brother!And poor mom. I'm so glad we're getting this story a year later when we know everything's ok.
---Jen

Junior said...

That brought tears to my eyes, what a wonderful brother Sarah has.

Monica said...

Wow, what an amazing story!!! And what a very very special brother/son you have.

Jeanette said...

Oh Joyce!!! WOW, God indeed has his hand on your son! I was rivetted, scared and in tears reading this whole thing! I am SOOOO glad that he is okay. What an amazing soul TJ has. You raised a wonderful son! I am amazed at your composure. You are such an inspiration.

SunflowerMom said...

Yikes, what a terrifying experience for all of you! So glad it has a happy ending.

JennyH said...

WOW- I have not been on blogs much in the last week. I have missed a lot. I am so glad he is OK. OMG - how scary!!!

Michelle said...

Wow. What a story - and what a brother.

Ruby's Mom said...

What a special Son you have!

Karly said...

Wow, what an amazing young man you have raised. Amazing.

The VW's said...

How touching! Tears..... And, talk about an exciting and stressful life that you have had! What blessing that he was not hurt! Amazing! Thanks for sharing! You definitely have a way with words and a knack for keeping your readers on the edge of their seats!

Kelly said...

I'm still trying to blink back the tears that flooded my eyes when I read what TJ was most worried about. That is truly awesome and I'm so glad he was okay!

Tsquared417 said...

Lucky, lucky Sarah and Lucky, Lucky you! :)

Mary said...

Sobbing here.
What a miracle!
God is good.

Nicole said...

Your son is a wonderful brother..YOu have obviously raised him very well. I am so glad that he is ok...you guys are in our prayers

Carol N. said...

Tell TJ he's a hero in our books!

Terri said...

Tears are welling up. What a touching story.

Anonymous said...

I can only hope that I can one day have a son as brave and loving as TJ one day to be a brother to our Bonnie.
We are so happy both your hospitalized children this week are okay.

datri said...

OK, tears here, too. What an amazing story.

Chrystal said...

TEARS, I tell ya, TEARS!

Lovin Mama said...

More tears here...

Sharon said...

That is an amazing story. I am so glad that TJ is okay. And what a special bond he and Sarah have. You are a very fortunate Mom!