My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

No Rest for the Weary

Sarah is all comfy at the hospital. Normally, I would be urgently managing the process of getting us home with an IV line so Sarah would be in her own bed. This one time, I think the hospital is actually better than being in the hotel, so I haven't peeped a word about going home.

John and I have learned over the years that only one of us stays at the hospital while the other continues on in the outside world. Hospitals have a way of draining energy and distorting time. Our usual pattern is we switch out just after dinner. The car that is not in the hospital parking garage, pulls up in the drop off circle and we quickly switch drivers before the security guards come running. Works great and saves on those incredibly high parking fees.

Usually when I leave, I go home and jump in the shower. I hate showering in the tiny closet in the parents room at the hospital. I always feel rushed as there are usually other parents waiting for their turn and I just don't get the feeling that I have washed the hospital stench off. This time, I have no working showers at home and I need to get TJ's room cleaned out, so the work crew can take his wallpaper down tomorrow.

If TJ saw his room like this he would be horrified. Good thing he is away at college. He is our neat freak. His room is ALWAYS totally organized, bed made and nothing on the floor.

We have been using it as a dumping ground since this project first started. We had not planned to do his room, but once we got into this project we realized it just needs to all be done at once so we don't have to go through this mess again.

I had to take pictures of where everything goes on TJ's shelves so I can put it all back correctly.

And the art hanging on the wall. See that lovely wallpaper. Now you know why it has to come down. So 80's like. Thanks to HGTV for pointing out on a daily basis that you can't put a house on the market with old, yucky wallpaper. Is anyone else addicted to those shows?
Well I better get to work. I can't go back to the hotel for a much needed shower until this room is totally unloaded into the PODS. We had to have one of those portable storage sheds dropped in our driveway because we are out of safe storage room. I bet the neighbors love that.

7 comments:

Cammie Heflin said...

I agree about the hospital, Scott and I take turns too. I learned the first time she was hospitalized that it was okay for me to take a break. I didn't leave the first time and I paid for it for weeks. Addy is really not herself, I am hoping we don't go back. Tell Sarah we said HI and hope she feels better soon. BTW HGTV is on ALl the time around here!

Heather said...

Sending love to you all and hoping you will be home soon.Kisses from Miss Sweet Zoey to Sarah.

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Hope you are home soon, and I hope Sarah feels better! What a project you have going on!!

Ellen said...

Hi. We went away yesterday, so just now catching up. I cannot believe Sarah went to the hospital since I last logged on. Hugs to her. Tell her my little Max says hi. He smiles at photos of her when I show them to him.

rickismom said...

Get well soon, Sarah!

We always send my husband to the hospital with kids. (For most of the time.) He can't "hold the fort" at home, and I hate the bordom of the hospital, but will be too nervous to do anything.

Melissa said...

Hope that Sarah get's to come home soon. It's no fun being at the hospital, but at least you know she's in good hands;) Sure hope she's on her way to feeling better...poor thing!!!
Sending you big HUGS from Me & Master Dillon XOXO

Lianna said...

Wow, I can feel you on so many points! Especially the parent shower on the paeds ward!

I, too, am addicted to HGTV and TLC. We've only owned this house, our first, for 10 months now, and I am always starting something in one room only to leave it to start another! But if you're selling, I think it is really smart to go as neutral and up-to-date as possible.

We saw the POD that you refer to when we lived in Burnaby, BC. We thought that was the neatest idea!!!

I hope that Sarah is on the mend! Sending lots and lots of well wishes!