My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's Time to Go...

...and pack up this beautiful office... (originally posted on 3/3/09)

...with a great view in downtown Cleveland...

...a nice physical environment...

...and a bully of a boss... Seriously, I resigned from my job a few weeks ago. Last Friday was suppose to be my last day, but with Sarah's hospital stay with pneumonia, I wasn't in at all last week. So today is the day I am going to go finish up that last report.
.
I had only been in this job for one year. It was what some would consider a dream job: beautiful office on the executive floor, good paycheck, nice co-workers, great benefits. But it lacked the most important thing when you have a child who is medically fragile: flexibility. For the first 25 years of my career, I have had jobs that have allowed some give and take with the hours I worked. I recognize that many jobs require standard hours, however I am not in a field that requires tight hours. Unless that is, you work for someone that is unable or unwilling to permit flextime.
.
In the end, there is only one thing that truly matters, the well being of my family. It is a sad day today. I must say good bye to my co-workers at United Way. I started my career here, as a United Way of America intern right out of graduate school. I had some of the most caring and supportive bosses ever, Bill Kerrigan, Ralph Dickerson, Richard Flores and Irv Lauber.
.
Irv was my boss when I gave birth to Sarah, during her open heart surgery and the five months that followed in the Cleveland Clinic. God knew what he was doing when he paired the two of us up. Irv was supportive, understanding, nurturing and he just genuinely cared. He became my rock. I'm not sure if I ever told him that. He would sit back in his chair, light up a cigar (yes, we could smoke in our office back then), and provide wise counsel and a shoulder to cry on. A year or so after Sarah stabilized Irv deserted me, he became the President of the Aloha United Way in Honolulu. And I was promoted to his role as a Vice President of the Community Resources Division. He had mighty big shoes to fill, but he taught me well. Over the years, I have always tried to be a supportive supervisor. One like Irv. He was a smart man. He taught me that when one gives, one receives.
.
My eyes are misting with tears. Not because I am sad, but rather I have been so truly blessed over the years. I have worked with some of the best. Colleagues that will be a part of my fabric for years to come. I have lived long enough to realize that when one door closes, another opens. And I shall be ready for the next leg of my journey.

10 comments:

Lacey said...

Family does come first. And it is so hard when your job doesn't work with you.

JRS said...

Sounds like a hard transition. Too bad they're losing such a good employee. ((HUGS))
---Jen

Beverly said...

Keeping you in our prayers.

Karen said...

I'm sorry that your boss is not very understanding. But you're doing the right thing - family first is always the best.

RK said...

That IS a nice view, for sure. But it sounds like, as always, you're on top of what is best in a situation, so I'm with ya...excited to see what's next!

Mel said...

Good on you. You will never regret putting your family first :) More people need to do the same. All the best.

SunflowerMom said...

Sounds like you gave a lot of wonderful time and work there. Hope you find a new path that suits your family better.

Vivian said...

Joyce, as you walked away and got on the elevator, I realized you weren't just saying goodnight, but for real Good Bye, and then you were gone.
Thank you for the card(s)
You will be missed, but I'll stay tuned to you and yours.
God Bless
Vivian-UWGC

Melissa said...

You did what you felt was best for your family! Door closed to a new beginning!! Best wishes for the future!

Alex's Mom said...

Joyce, I know exactly how you feel - I too have an inflexible boss and it is affecting Alex's education as I can not be on top of her studies as much as I should. I too have to make a decision in the next couple of weeks - best of luck to you.