My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Thank You for your Insight

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my question, To Be or To Have. All excellent responses. Truthfully, Sarah and I really don't have a strong preference to which way it is, I just want to make sure that we are not offending any new families, today.

When Sarah was born (1989) it was still referred to as Down's and usually the kid last. Thankfully soon after, the movement to put the person first began to take hold as in "a child with Down's" and now we have dropped the "'s" on Down. I do like how it is evolving, and for the better I believe. Interesting article shared by Patricia Bauer about this very subject in the New York Times last week.

The poll has closed and by overwhelming majority(84%) "to have" is the preferred choice. We have change the profile description, although, we decided to take it off the heading. When Sarah came up with calling her blog Class of 2008, she was simply celebrating her graduation, period.

Instead we "stole" a colorful awareness ribbon from Jaxson's Fight and added it to our sidebar. If you have not met Jaxson, stop by his site. What a little fighter. Thank you Jax and mom Lacey for sharing your story and the ribbon.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Sarah and Joyce...I just wanted to tell you what an inspiration you both are to me. Sarah, you amaze me and I pray that Lily grows up to be a wonderful young woman like you! Joyce, I can tell you are a terrific mom. Thank you so much for the insights you are so willing to share. I hope I'm half the mom you are!!

I'm new to this amazing journey and I look forward to learning more from both of you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've been reading for a while and I had a question for Joyce....how much do you oversee Sarah's posts? Does she write them and post them herself with no oversight from you, or do you read them first to make sure she doesn't post identifying details (such as where she lives etc)?

A comment for Sarah now: I love your blog - you always post the greatest stories and I love reading your posts. Keep up the great work, Sarah!

My name is Sarah said...

Great question and we have been asked that before. We have quite a process going. We will actually do a post in the near future showing how we do this. For the most part, she picks the pictures and then we use cue and prompt cards that she types from. If it is an immediate post then, sometimes I do the typing for her to get it out live in a timely fashion. We are usually working a few days or even weeks ahead which is why a lot of our contenet is about things in the past.