My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Real Life Friday

Whenever the weather report predicts extreme fluctuating temperatures, my husband and I buckle up, not just our seat belts, but our preparedness that one of us will be missing work. Sure enough. About 9:00 PM last evening, Sarah started gasping for air, her eyes turn grey and then the fever spikes - rapidly. We open drawer number two, the one with the arsenal of medications and begin to bomb her with breathing treatments and fever reducers.

So here she is today. Feeling better, but still a little warm. I can tell by just looking at her that her O2 sats are a little off, but not enough to head for the hospital just yet. We really try to avoid that if possible although we no longer store oxygen in the house, so sometimes we have no choice.

The Ohio State (stop this ambulance) Bear is always close by when she is not feeling well. Yes, that is a duck mask you see - for an almost 20 year old. The pediatric masks fit her face better and the durable medical supply company we must use with our health insurance does not stock plain ped masks. Somethings are just not worth fighting over and Sarah doesn't complain about it.

I don't think I have ever mentioned that Sarah refuses to take medication orally. Well, that only leaves a few options and when it comes to Tylenol, suppositories it is. I don't mind being home every so often during the day(I doubt my boss shares the same feeling). I stay in my PJs, leisurely do laundry, sometimes I even take a nap. That is what I was doing today, except I used the last rubber glove at midnight and it's about time to give Sarah her next dose. Guess who's getting dressed?

22 comments:

Lianna said...

Get well soon Sweet Sarah! Mom, I understand the whole "preparedness" feeling when it comes to our kids. Kudos for you!!!

Ruby's Mom said...

Hurry and get well Sarah!! Hugs!!

Mommyto2 said...

So sorry to hear Sarah is sick. I understand the feeling. I do not like winter!! We are praying that Sarah feels better soon!!

Robyn

Cathy said...

Feel better soon Sarah!!!

Jaxsons Fight said...

Get well soon. How funny that she would rather have it in the tushy than by mouth. Funny girl.

Kelly said...

I'm sorry to hear Sarah isn't feeling well. It's funny you mention her O2 sats. I'm curious to know how that has been for her. My 11 month old just recently fought off RSV and pnuemonia and since his O2 sats will drop when he's asleep. We are waiting until his cataract surgery to address that issue, but I must say I would like to understand what is going on. Tell Sarah I hope she feels better! Landon so far hasn't been too keen on meds either, but he's not too big to fight in getting it down! BTW, we have the same nebulizer mask - so much more fun I say!!

datri said...

Get better soon Sarah!

hjoy said...

Sarah I sure hope you feel better very soon.
Your duck mask is very cool. Junior used to have some dragon ones, but had to start using the larger ones because he likes to open his mouth real big and pop the mask onto his head.

Lisa said...

Feel better soon Sarah!

JRS said...

Feel better soon Sarah. Breathe well! ---Jen

Cammie Heflin said...

Oh Sarah!! I hope you feel better soon!

Mary said...

Hope you are feeling better soon Sarah.

We have the duck and the fish masks. I pulled our nebulizer out yesterday too for little Riley but he seems to have perked up today. I love that our Dr's trust us the have the arsinol of meds so we can avoid at least a few Dr trips.

Hope you house is well again soon.

Baby Island said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, it's so nice to encouraged by another mom who understands special.

Sarah is beautiful and I sooo get the mask and the Tylenol suppositories. Although William is only 4 I have pushed so many into his tiny little bum hole I'm afraid he's going to start liking it... *wink*

I love your down to earth writing and Sarah's blog. Hope she get's well soon.

Julie, Mom of mythreeminions

Tricia said...

So sorry to hear Sarah isn't feeling well. Please keep us posted.

Cortney said...

We will keep Sarah in our prayers and thank you for continuing to post while her laptop in away. Hopefully she will be able to stay home and heal.

Tsquared417 said...

I hope she feels better soon...she looks so sweet with her mask on. :) Great idea about the follow up story to the rape story. :)

Beth said...

Hoping you're feeling better Sarah! Winter makes me wheeze too--something about that cold air just triggers the lungs.

Tommy's mommy said...

Oh how we hope you feel better Sarah!

We LOVE, love, love reading your blog!! Thanks to your mom for keeping it up while you are sick.

We have that same fishy mask and Tommy doesn't like it nearly as much as you.

Take care friend! And good luck to your mommy and the tylenol.

JaybirdNWA said...

Hey Sarah, I'm sorry to hear that you are sick. Hope you get better fast and write more on your blog.

Michelle said...

from the other pictures it looks like you sure did get a lot of snow! I hope you are feeling much better today Sarah!

Cheri said...

Sarah, I hope you are feeling better today!

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

:( I hope that you are feeling much better Sarah!