My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Mom, It's Here!!!

Just a few moments ago my office phone rang. I picked up and before I could say hello I hear, "MOM, IT'S HERE. MY LAPTOP IS BACK." Sarah was screaming so loudly I had to hold the phone away from my ear. "Is it working?" I ask. (I'm not sure why I asked, I could already hear music from the Disney website playing in the background). "Yes, and the mouse works and the keyboard is new. Gotta go now, bye mom." "Sarah, wait, what did you do at the Food Bank today?" I hear a heavy disgusted sigh..."Spaghetti and meatballs, O.K? Bye mom"

And so it goes...here's some mom truth. I really didn't need to know what she did at the Food Bank, I just love the fact that we can have real conversations on the phone now. Are you familiar with that expression, good things come to those who wait. How true. I remember questioning from time to time, if the speech therapy was really all that important. You betcha it is. One day, you too will be amazed at the conversations you will have with your son or daughter.

15 comments:

RK said...

Yay!!! I'm glad it's back, and I love the idea of real conversations, too. I imagine those things, and I love that speech is Braska's strength at this point...so I think it'll be so fun when she can actually call me and tell me stuff!!

Thanks for filling in, Joyce! I've really appreciated your posts in Sarah's blogging absence, but we'll be glad to have her back too. :o)

Lianna said...

Woohoo! Finally!

You're a gal after my own heart, Joyce! I, too, feel very strongly about speech therapy for Gabriel. And I can't wait to have a good conversation with him...right now, I hear "Mommy, go away!" and that's about as much conversation as I get with Gabe.

PS. Sounds like Sarah is feeling better too! I'm glad she's recovered from her last bout of illness!

hjoy said...

Sarah, so happy to hear that you got your computer back.
Have fun.

Ruby's Mom said...

Oh,Sarah,I'm so glad you got your computer back!

Kristen said...

Sarah, I feel your excitement for having your computer back!! I always feel lost without my computer and am so happy to have it back, just like a good ol' friend. :o)

Jaxsons Fight said...

Wow that was fast. Welcome back Sarah, we missed you. But we've enjoyed talking to your mom. Hugs from Lacey and Jax

JaybirdNWA said...

Good for you Sarah. Now we are all waiting on a new post from you. Joyce, as I read your post about your conversations with Sarah, I was reminded of how I feel when John achieves things that I am doubtful of or have lack of patience for. Overjoyed!

The VW's said...

So glad you got your laptop back Sarah! YA HOO!

Jeanette said...

I have been dropping in your site on and off for about a month. I just love reading Sarah's posts and her mom's. My daughter is 17 month's old and I feel like I have learned so much in your last 5 posts for me to file away in my brain for the future. I will be checking in more often. BTW, I feel so old... I graduated high school in 1989 and I have a 1 year old now! LOL

Lisa said...

Yayy, so glad Sarah got her computer back! (That was quick!) I hope it's not the end of hearing from you, though, Joyce :) You need to start your own blog.

Heather said...

Woo hoo Sarah ... so glad you have the big green machine back.Get going girl.We missed you.Loved you Joyce though, so jump in anytime ... as long as Sarah gives the go ahead!

sheree said...

happy dance!!

So glad the computer is fixed :)

I love that you and Sarah are able to have those very "typical" conversations over the phone! It warms my heart!

JennyH said...

So happy for her!

That was a question for you- speech. When did Sarah start really talking? Was that an issue for her? Can most people understand her? Max is 7 1/2 years old. Speech is his biggest hurdle by far. He is starting to pick up more words. He just said MOM the first time over the summer. He now says it about 2000 a day!

Anyway- glad her laptop is back and working!

narretto said...

That is something I can not wait for...to have a "real" conversation with William...don't get me wrong he definately gets his point across to everyone lol, but to hear him just use his words to express what he is saying WOW what a day that will be.
I am so glad Sarah's computer is back and running..hope to hear more from you too

Michelle said...

Hooray! I'm so glad to hear Sarah has her computer back! She was such a trooper, waiting for it to be repaired.

I love the idea of future conversations, too. How sweet to look forward to.