My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Dresses and more Dresses

When I woke up this morning and went downstairs this is what I saw. Lots of Dresses. 10 to be exact.

I really do not like dresses so much. They are itchy. And I have to sit with my legs crossed like a lady. Oh and I HATE pantyhose. I do like some of these. I will have to have a fashion show for my dad later tonight. He likes it when I model clothes.

A MESSAGE FROM MOM: Over the years it has become progressively more difficult to find clothes for Sarah, especially dresses. As her body has matured, she has put on weight around the stomach and hips but her arms and torso have remained extremely short. A few years back I discovered that girls dresses in size 14.5 or 16.5 work well. The half size gives the extra room for the waist and hip expansion, yet the sleeve length and the bodice length are still designed for girls, so they are shorter. The hem length is much better too, as Sarah has maxed out at 4'10." The only problem is finding those half sizes. Each season Dillards usually gets a few styles of party dresses in half size. Sometimes they are just too little girl looking, but we usually find at least one. The most recent find she wore to the music program last week.

So this weekend, I was in Akron(about one hour south of where we live) for a soccer tournament with Matthew. They progressed on to the semi finals, with a few hour delay between games. So I headed down the street to a mall with a Dillards. I first sought out the restroom which they had located in the children's department. As I am walking through, I spot several racks of dresses with a 70% off sign on top. Hmm...it's worth a check a suppose. Holy cow. I found the above 10 dresses all in either 14.5 or 16.5. The best part: they were all marked down to either $10.80 or $15.00. Can you believe that!!!!! Now we will have to see if any fit and they can't be too scratchy.

I better put this part in for Matt: His soccer team went on to win the semi-finals and the FINALS!!! They beat teams from Indiana, Columbus and two premier teams to take home the gold - well in this case a large crystal soccer ball trophy and "Champions" gray t-shirts.

19 comments:

Heather said...

Nice find mom.and Sarah,I am not a big dress fan either and Zoey has never worn one,if you can believe that but .... dresses do make us feel pretty and you look oh so beautiful when you wear them.So give it a shot and remember .... post some pictures.

Junior said...

Love the dress, hope Sarah finds some she likes.
Congrats to Matt.

Tsquared417 said...

Well you have had quite a week...first pranksters and lots of noise, then you have to try on all of those dresses! I don't like dresses or pantyhose either. Tell your Mom she is a bargain shopper!!

Chrystal said...

Very nice! I don't love dresses either, but they're great to have for when you need them.

I learned something new today...half sizes!

wife, mother and so much more! said...

For what I can see all of the dresses look beautiful and for $10-$15 bucks, way to go mom!!!

The new style is that you can wear those dresses in the winter too, just throw a sweater over it.

Nicole said...

Gotta love Dillards and their sales! I was just there this past weekend. You know who else has excellent sales right now....JCPennys. You should check it out. not sure about dresses, but winter coats and clothes are way cheap. My mom and I got my son, and two daughters, and neice coats for next year, snow pants and hats and gloves all for only 58 dollars!

The VW's said...

I just love it when I find great deals like you did! They all look beautiful too! Hopefully Sarah likes a few of them, although I totally agree with her...dresses are itchy and not so fun to wear!

Leah said...

Oh, gotta love finding a good deal! I buy all of Angela's pants in the women's petite section. She wears a size 8 women's petite short. They fit PERFECT in the length! Sometimes I have to have some alterations done in the waist, but not much. For tops, she can usually wear a 14 Jr. Angela doesn't wear dresses at all! But, I have found JC Penny has a nice selection of plus sizes in their jr. department. I just bought Angela one that is a 14 plus and it's great around the waist.

Beverly said...

All the dresses are pretty. I hope that they will not be itchy for you. What a great find!

whatever to us said...

What great dresses and what a great bargain your mom found! Hope some of them fit just right and aren't too itchy...hope to see part of the fashion show later :)

Pam said...

Sarah, I am totally with you on the whole dress thing. Ugh. I only wear them when I absoutley HAVE to. Ick, panty hose are awful too.

But those dresses are beautiful and I hope you take lots and lots of pictures!! :)

Joyce: Clothes are SO hard to find for Rhett too. I never realized how short his legs were until I took a picture of him with our friends little boy at the pool.

They were sitting side by side and they are only two weeks apart, but the difference was huge.

Sonia said...

Those dresses are Tre CUTE! I'm not a big dress person myself, but I would wear the ones you have!

JRS said...

Wow Sarah. How much fun is that? I'm a little jealous.
---Jen

SunflowerMom said...

What a great score! I wish I could see the fashion show, too!

Jeanette said...

SWEET!!! Sounds like you got a blessing dropped in your lap. thank goodness for bathroom breaks! It sounds like I need to take a trip to Dillards.

Terri said...

Great find mom!

Sarah, I can't wait for the fashion show. I really like the dresses (although some of them do look kind of itchy). I hate pantyhose also.

Melissa said...

WOW! That was SUCH a great deal!!

Sarah, you're lucky to have your Mom to get such pretty dresses like that;) However, I don't blame you for not liking dresses so much, I don't either...but know that you are SO PRETTY in them;)

Clara said...

Interesting.!! All the dresses are very beautiful.

Emily said...

omg how cute lol i have collected all my dresses and i have it in a special room, maybe i should take a pic of it and write an article, their prety cute, mine was a long dress from ElegantMart.com