My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Thanksgiving Favorite

(first posted on 11/25/208) By Joyce...For the past few months I have been reading with Sarah the stories of so many wonderful families who have entered our T21 circle. Some are just beginning the journey and wonder if they have the strength. Many are struggling through the medical hurdles that often present with a child having Down syndrome. Some are fighting through battles with school districts, a few are wishing friends or family were more accepting and supportive. Several are hoping to not loose their jobs, especially worried are those who carry the health insurance. Some are exhausted just trying to keep up with the day to day demands, some are concerned about what this experience is doing to the siblings. Most have financial concerns. A few are trying to create life plans for their young adults future. Many are simply wondering what comes next.
~
Over the years, John and I have shared in all these feelings. We have laughed and we have cried. We have weathered the storms as they come rolling in and we have learned to be oh so flexible. There are nights that we climb into bed and just want to pretend none of this is real. On those nights the lows seem so low. Then there are moments that shoot us up to the moon and back and remind us this journey has been larger than all of us and is so worth it all. The little gestures that remind us the highs are higher than high. Last Thanksgiving, Sarah presented us with this card which is one such example:




I cry each time I look at this card because of all it represents. First, her printing. I think back to the number of IEP meetings where they suggested that writing might be too difficult and why not just go to a picture language board. The number of times we were told her finger grasp was not appropriate or strong enough for holding the pen. The IQ test that gave us a number of 68, followed years later by 47. Numbers that could suggest feelings and emotions might never be defined. Yet here is our beautiful daughter articulating that she is thankful for her house, seeing her brother (who's been off to college) and her good family. Is it By Chance or By Design that we are blessed to have this wonderful girl in our life? To be given the strength to continue on, to challenge the status quo, to fight for greater acceptance, and to question professionals who might see an easier short term escape. We are so thankful for being given this opportunity. We love you Sarah. You are the thanks in our giving. We feel blessed beyond measure.

26 comments:

Kari said...

Just so you know this post made me cry! Tears of joy of course! I am thankful that I found your blog! Reading about Sara and all of her accomplishments always brightens my days. That is a beautiful card Sara! you are a wonderful daughter!

Karly said...

Thank you so much for this post. I have tears streaming down my face. What a beautiful daughter you have. Thank you for sharing Sarah with us.

Mary said...

I love it when you share mom. Sara is an amazing girl and I have loved reading about your family. My son is just about to celebrate his 2nd birthday and I know there is so much ahead for him. I should know better to read your posts at work. It is hard to explain the tears.

Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your wonderful family.

Michelle said...

Wow, what a great post - this brought tears to my eyes, too!

I am thankful we found Sarah's blog. Thank you for sharing so much of your lives with us.

Sarah, you have a huge fan club!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Lianna said...

Your words are as beautiful as Sarah's hand written ones in the Thanksgiving card.

I often visit Sarah's blog because she reminds me of how possible it will be for my son to shine as brightly as she does.

And when you write, I look up to you for the years of experience you have gathered.

What you have written today helps my belief that all will be alright with our world.

Thank you.

Many Happy Thanksgiving Wishes for you and your family!

narretto said...

I am so glad that Sarah commented on my blog one day and then I checked hers out. I enjoy reading what she has to say, she really does a great job with her blog and I really like to see all of the great places she has been.
I love the card that she gave to you and your husband, it is so perfect. You are lucky to have such a great girl,I know I don't have to tell you that.
I look forward to all of the things that we learn from having William in our life.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your familiy. April

datri said...

How beautiful! Thanks so much for this post. You are a wonderful Mom and Sarah is a wonderful daughter. Oh and that IQ test -- Kayla's last one was 56. Thanks for giving me hope and the strength to keep fighting.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

What a beautiful card, and wonderful post. Thank you for your beautiful and inspiring daughter!

Maureen said...

I am crying too! How wonderful to see all of the hard work of so many people.

SunflowerMom said...

This just gave me goosebumps! Thanks for sharing your lives with us.

sportsguyely said...

I LOVEEEE YOU SARAH AND KEEP ON FIGHTING LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becca said...

Your post has made me all teary-eyed. Sarah's card is beautiful--you have a wonderful family and an amazing daughter. She's a real inspiration, and I love reading about her life.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Very beautiful! She has come a long way! There are times when I wonder if Gabi will ever read or write, and then I get a wonderful note home in her backpack like today where she had spelled out her first name and almost completely spelled out her last name. Or last week when she finally used her words to express her feelings instead of the usual cries, growls and tantrums. I celebrate these things with you! Your Sarah is an inspiration to all of us and so are you mom! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your "good family!" ;)

AZ Chapman said...

proving people wrong is something fun to do. Happy thanksgiveing

sheree said...

wow. This thanksgiving, when I declare what it is I am thankful for, I hope you and Sarah are aware that you both are on my list. You have no idea how therapeutic it has been to read your blog.

Sarah truly is a ray of sunshine.

Lisa said...

I am moved beyond words by this beautiful post, and by the beautiful daughter you have and whom you share with all of us. Thank you.

Lauren (mytime) said...

I am just a mess over this! Its beautiful! Just amazing. Thank you for sharing it :D

Michelle said...

what a beautiful post! thank you so much for this! I'm struggling right now because Kayla is struggling with writing; she's just no where near able to write her letters yet...and that is one thing I look forward to- her being able to write! I can see how this card and letter would have so many emotions for you.

Debbie Yost said...

You have to WARN us before you post something like that! I'm sitting here trying not to let my husband see me cry. :)

But seriously, thank you. I can't explain how much this means to us. Like you said, some days ARE hard, wondering what will happen to your little girl, wondering if she will ever speak, wondering how others will accept her. Reading Sara's blog is a blessing because we can see that it is all possible and our children will have friends and be accepted. You all give us strength and courage to go on when we need an extra lift. And mostly, thank you for paving the road for our children so that their fights will be a little easier and acceptance a little more forthcoming.

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving.

Christy said...

Oh dear, 9.04am and I'm in tears.
That card is wonderful.
I admire you Joyce so much, thank you for sharing so much of your life.

Loren Stow said...

What a wonderful post - your words and honesty and reflection are really inspiring. :)

patsy said...

tears this morning reading your beautiful post...thank you so much. hope you all have a great game and a great turkey this sunday :)

Alex's Mom said...

Joyce, I loved this entry...yes we all have challenges with our kids...but we have a hundred times more triumphs - I love to read these celebrations...Thanks

Bonnie said...

Such a beautiful card Joyce! It represents so much and is written in true 'Sarah style'! Hope you enjoy and ALL the family enjoy the turkey dinner today. :-D

Kristin said...

Awesome!

Donna said...

Thank you for sharing this. It brought tears to my eyes. You are such a wonderful supporter/advocate for your daughter and such an inspiration to those of us still learning our way in the special needs world. (I am behind on my blog reading, so just now catching this post.) Thank you for the lovely reminder of being grateful for all the small things that hold such big meaning. Sarah, you have the best mom!