My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Late Breaking News

An Evening with my Good Friend Lisa

This is Lisa. She was my neighbor and has known me since the day I was born and has been by my side ever since. She started to babysit me when she was just eight years old. She is now a medical social worker at Akron Children's Hospital. One of the things that Lisa and I both love is ice skating. So when she got access to a private loge for a very special event in town, she asked me to go with her.

If you know anything about ice skating, you know Scott Hamilton. For the past nine years Scott has hosted this very special event in Cleveland to raise money for cancer research and the Taussig Cancer Center.

Here is Scott Hamilton with Kristi Yamaguchi opening the evening and saying a little about his battle with cancer and his treatment at the Cleveland Clinic.

Oh this is me getting ready to watch the show.

Let the show begin. At the other end of the rink, Kenny Loggins is singing live and behind him is the Cleveland Pops Orchestra. I don't really know Kenny, but I recognized some of his songs from movies I watch.

One more skater.

The grand finale.

Here is me and Lisa again.

And one more photo of us just before we are leaving. Lisa lives about 45 minutes from me now, so I don't get to see her too often.


Lisa, THANK YOU for inviting me.

11 comments:

RK said...

I would love to get to see Scott Hamilton live! You are so lucky! How great of your friend Lisa to ask you to go... very cool!

Chris said...

Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing the photos. How lucky you and Lisa had a chance to spend some time together. It is fun to hang out with old friends.

Lisa said...

sneaky sneaky sarah! i knew there were ulterior motives to all the pictures! I had so much fun seeing you tonight and am sorry that miley cyrus never did perform! I copied one of the pictures and put it on my facebook site! see you soon!

Mary said...

Wow what a night. It looks like you had a great time. I don't think it gets better than a girls night out.

Lisa said...

Good friends . . . nothing like 'em. I'm so glad you and Lisa got to spend such a fun time together!

narretto said...

luck girl! I love ice skating...you are blessed to have such a good friend, What a fun night

Heather said...

Dearest Joyce and Sarah,As you can imagine it has been so difficult to respond back to each and every person who stops by and checks on Zoey daily and leaves such amazing words of encouragement and love.But this morning,as I checked comments, before I headed out to see sweet Zoey,I could not leave before coming here.Your words,left me breathless,Sarah.That you see in Zoey's smile,fight determination and survival,was a reminder to me what I know also.I just needed that gentle nudge today to rally me for another day.Thank you Sarah.Thank you for loving Zoey from afar.Would it not be wonderful if one day the two of you could meet?Let's plan on it,OK?I will talk to Zoey today and tell her about a special friend,who loves her smile and sees in that smile something we all should remember as we continue along side this journey with her.Zoey is so very lucky to have a friend like you Sarah .... we all are.

hjoy said...

wow, how exciting. Looks like a wonderful event and lots of fun.

(Junior was watching Home Alone in my last post)

Michelle said...

how neat! that looks like it was a fun event to go to!

Kristen said...

Not everyone can say they have attended such an honorable event such as this. How fun it must have been to see these well known people in person.

Kim said...

Oh....I am so happy for you! I would have loved to have seen that! I am glad you got to spend time with your dear friend.