My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Late Breaking News

I thought you would like to see how I spent Halloween Day...

First thing in the morning I go to an apartment where I am learning how to live by myself. We cook, clean, do laundry, go to the store, and we go bowling. Sometimes we just sit around and watch tv. Last week we went to open a savings account at the bank. Once I graduate from this program I could get my own apartment here. It is in Euclid, not too far from where my family lives.

The apartment is in Building H.


This is Mrs. Rose, the teacher. She is very nice.

Here are my friends also learning how to live independently. Do you notice two of them are twins. We had a party today for Halloween.

After I eat lunch a bus takes me to my NEW JOB...

I am working at the Cleveland Foodbank. I have to wear a uniform now. Guess who also works here?

Yes, it is Alex. Remember, he was my prom date last spring. We were very happy to see each other. He says he is going to call me. Maybe we will go to a movie.

This is one of my friends from High school last year. Her class comes to volunteer one day a week. I am glad I am not on this job today. Do you see what she is unpacking? Soft Batch Chocolate Chip cookies. Yum, I love them. It would be hard to resist. Yesterday at my orientation, they told me never to eat the food I am working with.

This is the warehouse. I have to always stay on this side of the yellow line for safety reasons.

I'm showing my mom the kitchen. But I am not looking at her because I am being reminded that I have to wear a hair net when I am in here. Yesterday I made 100 bologna and cheese sandwiches for the kids lunches at Head Start. I did a super job, especially for my first day. I will get a paycheck too.

14 comments:

Cammie Heflin said...

You must be so proud Sarah!

sheree said...

wow sarah! How cool that you are learning all of these new cool tasks.

About the cookies, I wouldn't be able to resiste either! yummy! :)

datri said...

Sarah, that is so awesome! I am so happy you have these opportunities!

Lianna said...

Hey Sarah!

It's a great thing to prepare to live on your own! I remember very well going out on my own for the first time -- it was fun being on my own, and at the same time I missed my grandmother very much -- I lived with her in my childhood.

Your job sounds very productive and I bet you're busy all through your shift. That's a good thing! I know I never liked being bored on the job!

Going out with Alex to a movie should be a fun time! I miss going out to a movie -- you've inspired me to do it soon!

I hope you had a GREAT Halloween evening! As you saw on my blog, Gabriel went out as a dragon again. It was really fun giving out treats and seeing all the kids, too.

JennyH said...

Sarah you are so pretty! Good job getting a job. Sounds like a fun job. I hope you enjoy it. I like your shirt with the spider web on it.
Love all your pictures.

Kari said...

Hi Sara. I am pleased to have you as a new blog friend. It sounds like you are a very busy girl. I hope you continue to enjoy your new job. :)

Melissa said...

Congrats on the job Sarah, that's AWESOME!!! I'm so happy for you. You have a great future ahead of you & you make me proud!

You go girl8)
Master Dillon's Mom

JRS said...

Congrats on your new job. It sounds like you're learning so many useful things. I look forward to reading more about it.
---Jen

hjoy said...

Way to go Sarah, have fun at your new job.

WheresMyAngels said...

Super cool! I love your uniform. My oldest daughter Mercede just started highschool and is doing a work program. I'm hoping Mercede will also be accepted to the place where I work, when she graduates.

I work for an Organization called Woodhaven. We provide supports for individuals with disabilities in the community. Most of our individuals live in apartments or homes in the community. We have alot of people who have their own place with no roommates. My daughter Mercede will not be one of them because she needs alot more support. Our individuals who need more support usually live in a nice house in the community with 1 or two roommates. Mercede is excited about this. Cheyenne my other daughter would be able to live by herself with some support but she tells me she never wants to leave. So maybe when she gets married, she will.

jessica @ raising joey said...

Congrats on the new job Sarah!

Michelle said...

How cool! Congratulations on the new job - it looks like a great place to work! Very impressive!

Michelle said...

congrats on starting your job; how very exciting! So what are you planning to do with your first paycheck?

Celine said...

How exciting Sarah!
That's just great!