My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Favorite Fall Memory # 56

Thanksgiving 1994

Do you see the picture I painted of a turkey hanging behind me? I am five years old in this picture. I was in the big kids class at pre-school and we got to do lots of neat artwork.

This is the year I learned a new Thanksgiving song: The Albuquerque Turkey. I loved trying to say that big word.
.
It is sung to the tune of Ole My Darling Clementine:
.
Albuquerque has a turkey, and he's feathered and he's fine,
And he wobbles and he gobbles and he's absolutely mine.
He's the best pet, you can get yet, better than a dog or cat,
He's my Albuquerque turkey and I'm awfully proud of that.
And my Albuquerque turkey is so happy in his bed,
'Cause for our Thanksgiving dinner, we have egg foo yung instead.
.
For some reason this song just made me crack up. Oh my mom wants me to point out the wall behind me. You really can't see it to good in this picture, but I decided to draw a big picture on this wall. I used a black permanent marker :) My dad scrubbed and scrubbed but he could not get it off. So guess what? It just became my coloring wall for a while.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I love your smile in that first picture! It's just beautiful!!

sheree said...

those pics are too cute sarah!

JRS said...

Cute! I may just have to teach my kids that song.
---Jen

Lauren (mytime) said...

Sarah my name is Lauren and I have to say you are AMAZING!! You are beautiful and inspiring. I love reading what you have shared, and read it all through tears! Tears of happiness. My daughter Alexa has Down Syndrome, she is 9, and I want to tell you that after seeing your blog and how amazing you are, it gives me a solid faith that everything we work so hard for will be accomplished. You are exactly what I hope for my daughters future! I am so in awe of you!
You can see her story here.

http://laurenm.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/alexas-story/

Granted she has had some bumps in her road but she is the biggest joy in my life!
Thanks for sharing so much of yourself.

hjoy said...

The pictures are adorable, very cute song.