My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Favorite Fall Memory # 29

So sad, it's time to say goodbye to Chicago. We had such a good time. I loved being with my friends in a new, big city.

I watched all my friends come brush their hair in front of this mirror so I decided I better do it too. Time to put on our Girl Scout vests. We always travel with them on.

I am taking another picture. I had to be careful not to get to close to the blue line.

Grrrrr, that's the wrong train.

One last picture before we walk into the airport.
.
A MESSAGE FROM MOM: Wow!!! What a trip. Way beyond anything I could have imagined. I had a few questions about how the troop paid to get there. The girls decided they wanted to visit the American Girl store when they were in third grade. For World Friendship that year the girls chose Mexico and I used the AG doll Josefina, to help teach the unit. It took three years of serious cookie selling to earn enough for all of them to go. It cost approximately $265 per girl(2001) . That covered airfare, admission to Shedd Aquarium, the Institute of Art, The Musical Review and dinner at American Girl, dinner at Rainforest Cafe and two nights stay at the Youth Hostel. We ate breakfast at the Youth Hostel each morning. The adults paid their own way.
The last thing I did before we got on the plane to come home was throw away all the maps and details I carried with me for the nearest Chicago hospital. When we first arrived in the city, you may recall the photo of Sarah pulling her suitcase and on top was a black duffle bag. That duffle bag carried all our emergency medical supplies. I take everything, just in case. Thankfully, we never had to open it, until we got back to Cleveland. Then Sarah collapsed, but with memories like what we just experienced, how could we complain. I have been so richly blessed to have all these wonderful girls in my life. Troop 1977, thank you.

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Yay!! Girl Scouts. Sarah, I am so glad you had a wonderful time in Chicago. It reminds me of my trip to Washington DC where I stayed in a youth hostel when I was 12. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa said...

OMGOSH!
I just realized that you had another blog! I'm so glad I found it8)
I'm so glad that you had such a great time! Good for you!!! You're so lucky to have such a cool mom;)

That's AWESOME that you get to go to that apartment, how encouraging!!! Go Sarah!!!
Will "blog" to ya later..LOL
Master Dillon's Mom

Lianna said...

Wow, that's a lot of cookies, indeed! I think being so committed to the girl scouts is very admirable -- displaying motivation and ability! Great series of posts!

JRS said...

Sarah, thanks for sharing this special trip. It's been fun to read about it and see your photos. It sure looked like lots of fun. ---Jen

Tracey said...

I am glad you guys had such a good trip! Nothing the like the Girls Scouts!

SunflowerMom said...

What an amazing trip! It makes me wish I would of stayed in GS longer than the 2 yrs I was in it. Maybe my daughter will grow up to be a GS.

Melissa said...

Sarah, I have really enjoyed your Girl Scout posts. I was a GS when I was younger and reading these has been like small flashbacks for me :) We never went to Chicago though, but did travel to Savannah once. Thanks for sharing!

JennyH said...

It's hard to leave when you are having so much fun. That looked like a very fun trip. You had a lot of badges on your vest!
I loved seeing and hearing about that special trip.

Michelle said...

I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures in Girl Scouts! I hope Kayla will want to do this when she's older (right now she's in Daisy just because I signed her up; not because she asked!)