My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Favorite Fall Memory # 22

Our First Stop.
Every Girl Scout trip to Chicago must include Shedd Aquarium.

Meet: Rachel, Kelly, Stacy, Jennifer, Jessica, me and Ashley.

This is a pretty cool place.

Outside those big windows is Lake Michigan.

Great Dolphin Show. How many do you see?

MESSAGE FROM MOM: This is the part of the show where the emcee asks for volunteers to come forward and answer a question. The first brave soul goes down and she asks him "How many dolphins did you see?" Correct. Do I have any more volunteers? Second girl goes down and she asks, "Is a dolphin a fish or a mammal?" Correct. I stop paying attention at this point - boring. All of a sudden I see Sarah walking down front. "What is she doing!!!???? Get back here," I scream to myself. My palms start to sweat, my heart starts thumping. "Can you name two oceans that dolphins swim in?" What !!!! Can't this woman see? Can't she recognize a child with Down syndrome? Why is she trying to humilate my Sarah in front of 150 people? And then I hear Sarah take a deep breath and slowly say very matter of factly into the microphone, "Pacific and Atlantic." What??? How does she know that? I leap to me feet. "That a girl, Sarah." Whaaahoooo, that's my girl.

And so it goes with Sarah. After spending two full weeks in school studying oceans, a teacher could ask her that same question in a classroom setting and she would just sit there and stare back at them acting totally clueless. Put her in a real setting, where it makes a difference in her eyes, and she is right on target. I love being able to take these real world examples back to the teachers to help keep them motivated. I know it can be frustrating at times to not get immediate feedback on lessons taught, yet today was such a great example of never underestimating the potential and knowledge of a child with Down syndrome. And didn't Sarah just teach a lesson to all the folks, myself included, in that audience today. All 150 of them.


Do you notice anything about this photo? Yep, that's me taking a picture of the person taking my picture.

Stay tuned for our next Chicago adventure...





8 comments:

Shelley said...

What a fantastic story. Thanks for sharing it - I am really enjoying reading your blog.

Lisa said...

Way to go Sarah! You are such an inspiration :)

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT story! Sarah, I look at your blog as much as I do my own little grand-daughter's, BECAUSE I love all the places you have been, your a pretty worldly girl, we admire you. Hope you don't mind.

A'reian's Grandma

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

I love the Shedd Aquarium - looks like a wonderful day!!

Celine said...

Great story Sarah!
I'm going to Chicago myself in two weeks and I can't wait!
Have a great day!

Andy and Ellen Stumbo said...

And she taught me a lesson too. I am so glad you found my blog, so i could find yours. Sarah is so beautiful!
Sarah, you are an example and role model for our family, and Nichole!
you are awesome! And such a smart girl! I wish we could meet you.

Anonymous said...

Sarah the more I read about your life, the more I am convinced you have a direct pipeline to the heavens above. Your stories are fabulous and so inspiring. Mom thank you so much for sharing and telling it just like us mom's experience it, with the real high's and low's. Liz

Mary said...

Looks like you had a great trip. I love mom's story about the Ocean's.

Thanks for sharing!