My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Favorite Fall Memory # 20

I LOVE TO SWIM

After helping at that birthday party with all those screaming little boys I had to go swim some laps, it was so stressful. Notice I wore my pumpkin colored swim suit since it was Halloween time.


I learned to swim at the YMCA in Lyndhurst. There was a lifeguard there named Jason. He was a wild and crazy kind of guy. He had a long curly pony tail and a huge tattoo of a shark on his back. My mom thought he was a hunk.
Anyway, he taught me to swim while I still had my trach tube. My mom sorta freaked, but then she decided Jason knew what he was doing. While I had that trach, I could not go under water, but once it was closed, I could swim the entire length of the pool underwater. NO one including all my doctors could figure that out. My lungs were in pretty bad shape, but I could hold my breath under water for a really long time.


Before I got out, I would take it easy and use the kick board for a few laps.

Being on my back was very relaxing.

8 comments:

Lianna said...

I think that is absolutely incredible about your ability to hold your breath, under water, for the length of the pool! Sarah, how old were you when you took swimming lessons? Gabe is only 3 1/2 but I really want him to start learning to swim!

I had to giggle over the "mom thinks he is a hunk" comment! I'm with ya, mom! ;)

Melissa said...

Sarah, Thank you for sharing with us here on your blog. I don't remember how I found you but I'm glad I did :) You seem to be an awesome young lady.

sheree said...

I am laughing about you letting us all in on the fact that your mom thought Jason was a hunk ;)

That is so great that you are a good swimmer. I can't hold my breath for even ten seconds!

SunflowerMom said...

You look like a koi fish in that swimsuit- very graceful!

Am I the only one wondering where the picture of the hunk is? :)

Lisa said...

Sarah, I just think you are amazing :)

Charissa said...

You are such an inspiration. I am loving your blog! :)

Anonymous said...

What a talented young lady! Gosh Sarah, I can't even swim.... You NEVER cease to amaze me! Your great!!

A'reian's Grandma

Kimberly said...

Orange is such a fabulous color. I swam on a swim team when I was younger so I can definately appreciate being able to hold your breath for so long. That is not easy!