My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Favorite Fall Memory # 19

October 2000
Matthew wants a halloween party at
McDonalds for his 4th Birthday.

My mom asked me if I would like to be a helper.
So I dug my baseball uniform out and wore it as a costume.
We are getting ready to play musical chairs.

Do you see my mom? She is dressed as a McDonald's drink. And you can just see my dad dressed as french fries. Too crazy.

Oh my gosh!!! These little boys are so annoying.

Do you see my hand on Matt's shoulder? That's because he was crying his eyes out. One of the other kids blew his candles out first. He was so upset.

A MESSAGE FROM MOM: We had a few emails yesterday about our posting of Sarah's Story and I bet others have the same questions. First, The Big One. Did we know Sarah was Down syndrome before she was born? No we did not. This was 1989 and awareness of prenatal testing was not quite what it is today. I had the typical triple stick test which was in the normal range. We did have two sonograms, one very early and one about six months. They did not indicate any problems. I am not sure though that technicians were as clued into identifying "soft markers" back then. They were able to tell is though that they suspected the baby was a girl.

The second common questions had to do with Girl Scouts. Sarah was a Girl Scout for eleven years: from Daisies to Seniors. In a few days she will be posting a few fall experiences with them. I was the leader and had the same co-leader for all those years. I did not really adapt the activities for Sarah. She pretty much did what all the other girls did. When we went on field trips I would take one more adult chaperone than required. Looking back, I believe Girl Scouts was one of the greatest things we did with Sarah. It gave her so many real-world experiences with typically developing girls. I could have done the same activities with her, but I do not think we would have had the same results because it would have been just her and me . By doing the activities with Girl Scouts, she wanted to be just like the rest of the girls.


6 comments:

sheree said...

what a fun birthday party! I think mom and dad win the "best costume" award, haha!

Sarah's mom: I have been reaslly inspired by both you and Sarah. I love that you got her involved in things like Girl Scouts. I already have big plans for Gabby thanks to you! ((hugs))

Lianna said...

The costumes are GREAT! Sarah, you're too cute in your baseball outfit!

Sarah's mom, reading your insights, as well as Sarah's stories, makes me feel more connected to Gabe's future. (If that makes sense?) I like that despite Sarah's earlier ill health, your family included her in everything, and in all activities. And, of course, she is a young woman now, sharing her stories with many of us, who have worries over our own children's future. Really, I love this blog.

JennyH said...

Looks like fun! McDonald's food costumes make me laugh!!

I love seeing all these pictures of you when you were younger.

WheresMyAngels said...

Thanks for the information. I never did the triple screen with any of my pregnacies so would have no way of knowing it it would of showed. The day before Mercede was born (1990), I was told something was wrong that my baby was way too small. Mercede was born the next day at 4 lbs 11 oz. It took a few months before we found out about her AVCanal defect. We never did girl scouts, but the girls were in dance for 8 years and loved it.

Maureen said...

My 17 month old daughter has down syndrome and I can't wait for her to be in girl scouts. I was in girl scouts for 8 years and I am now the den leader for my 6 year olds Tiger scout den. This is a wonderful blog. Sarah you are such a beautiful girl!!

Michelle said...

what a great big sister you are helping out at the birthday party like that!

Thanks for sharing about the Girl Scouts too - Kayla is a Daisy this year (first time) and I hope she gets the same things out of it too!