My Name is Sarah

MY NAME IS SARAH. I am a quilt designer and the sewcial director of Sarah's Sewcial Lounge. I also have a business called Down Right Charming. I sell my quilts mostly on etsy and I make pillowcases to donate to patients in the hospital in memory of my friend Kristen Kirton. I am a young adult living with Down syndrome. I hope you enjoy reading about my life journey.

Friday, October 17, 2008

Favorite Fall Memory # 17

Halloween 1998
Party time at school. I'm in the third grade this year.
.
Look how cute. We made spiders out of film containers.

Here are some of my friends. They were glad to see me because I spent most of October in the hospital. I did not have a costume to wear because the doctors did not think I would be at this party. The thing about that is, everytime they gave my parents that news, they forgot to check with me first. "Hey, hello," Sarah here. "I'm not missing any parties, costume or not. Got it?"

My mom was a room mother that year, so she had to dress up. I'm not sure why she is wearing fruit on her head. She says she was trying to be Carmen Miranda. Whoever that is.

This is Mrs. Cornwall. She was my aide that year. I missed a lot of school because I was very sick. She would come to the hospital and my house sometimes to bring me work and help me out. She was very nice.





3 comments:

lisavengesta said...

ha ha! i love your mom's costume :) what a good idea *lol*

Shawndi84 said...

HA! I feel ya Sarah, I wouldn't miss a party for anything either!! Those Halloween parties at school were the best... next to Valentines Day!!

Lianna said...

I'm happy that you're well and that you enjoyed the party despite what the docs said! Gabriel, my son, missed his very first Halloween. Even though he was only six months old, it would have been fun to celebrate his first official Halloween costume. Anyway, he was in the hospital recovering from heart surgery -- so we always make a great effort to have the most fun Halloween since then!